It seems that summer is the time when many homeowners start to consider a home renovation project. Whether you are installing a pool, hot tub, new kitchen or roof, these projects are a great way to increase the value of your home.
But renovation projects come with risk. Some risks may be covered under your homeowner’s insurance, but many are not. For example, if you hire a roofer to replace your roof and one of the installers falls, your homeowner’s insurance will not cover the injury. You will need to make sure that the roofer has workers’ compensation coverage. If you hire a friend to help you with your renovation project, your homeowner’s insurance may not cover their medical bills in the event of an accident. If your friend causes damage to your home, he or she could be liable for the damage.
Here are a few tips to keep you protected
· If you “do it yourself”, remember your homeowner’s insurance will not cover your medical bills.
· When hiring a contractor, make sure they have liability and workers’ compensation insurance.
· Check references. Or even better, ask friends for a referral.
· Never pay 100% up front.
· Ask the contractors for their bank contacts and list of sub-contractors. Then, verify the contractor’s line of credit with the bank.
· Make sure all work is done to your satisfaction before you write that final check.
We will utilize ALL our markets to give you the best possible combination of coverage, price and services; that is why we are called The Insurance Mall. We know you have choices, so we thank you for choosing L.A. Bowen Insurance Agency.
Call us now at- 801.226.SAVE. Or go to www.laboweninsurance.com